I think I became a journalist last year, when I started writing for TNH. I have been a Staff Writer for the last year, mostly covering sports for the paper. The experience has been truly rewarding and to think about how I started off last September to where I am now is unbelievable. I am not saying that I am a great journalist, or even a good one. I think I have a long ways to go to even get to a respectable level of journalism, but I think the most important thing is that I'm learning and improving each and everyday.
I think the greatest struggle I found early on in my journalism career was setting up interviews. I found it hard to go up to a person and ask for an interview, or request an interview, or try and set up an interview. Once I started an interview, I was fine. The same is basically true today, though I still struggle to set up an interview, especially if it's by phone. I've never liked talking on the phone very much.
Building off of that, I really enjoy the one-on-one interviews. I think I thrive on the single person interaction and can hold a conversation really well. I like them as I'm able to focus on what the person is saying, really digest it, and build off it by branching off with follow up questions that seem to make sense in my mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment