Sunday, November 25, 2012

Is sports worthy?



I don’t think it’s a big secret that I thoroughly enjoy sports. I know I want to work in sports in some way, whether that be as a journalist or with a team directly.  My moral dilemma, however, is the worthiness of my pursuit. I have always wanted to do something that will help other people that will make a difference. Yet sports are a simple form of entertainment. I’m not saving lives or making a difference or inspiring anyone. I’m getting people to pay large amounts of money to watch a game and to forget about their everyday lives and responsibilities.
Is this pursuit worthy? Is it right? I’ve struggled to find a definitive answer. I always think that maybe I should be a journalist in a different field, like politics or something. But I know that’s what I’m not truly invested in, that I wouldn’t be happy. I also think, why is a writer in politics better than a writer in sports? Couldn’t they both truly inspire others?
That’s when I remember. Inspiration doesn’t just come from ‘worthy’ fields. There are truly inspiring stories in sports all the time. Many athletes and teams are role models to kids, kids who want to be good because of them (most of the time). That’s when I remember that maybe there is hope for what I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment