Sometimes, I think facebook is taking over the world. It
seems that facebook is all some of my friends and family visit anymore. They
get their news from facebook via the news link their friends are viewing. They
play games on facebook. They interact with people on facebook. It’s almost as
if that is all they need anymore, like other websites are useless compare to
the mighty facebook.
I think this is scary. When I think about it, I think media
is converging not diverging. When you look at who owns what, the numbers are getting
smaller, not bigger. Take Disney for example. They recently bought Lucasfilm.
That’s another film company that Disney owns which means a more streamlined
product. Sure, Lucasfilm’s name will still be used, but it must go through the
Disney standard, their process.
I fear that is what is happening to our news. It’s all more
streamlined, more controlled by fewer and fewer people. Editors decide what is
front-story news and not. If we write something against a company that happens
to own our publication, will it get published? Will we still have jobs? We’re
supposed to be the ultimate watch-dog, but it feels like we actually have a
muzzle. That we can’t really say what we want. That everything is more
streamlined, and people don’t even realize it. They just see it was easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment