I’ve been thinking recently, and more and more I feel like news and journalists look to go for the entertainment value over the actual news. In class we keep talking about keeping our reader interested, making sure we have our reader because if we don’t, we don’t have people caring about our news. But we’ve also talked about how our society really isn’t interested in important news. Does that mean we should start writing articles about Paris Hilton and other mega-celebrities? Or just simply focus on sports? That’s what people of today seem to care about, not the election or big other big things that impact our everyday lives.
Perhaps I’m over thinking this, but I feel like we’re entertainers rather than journalists. It’s like we focus more on entertaining our readers than informing them with the news. It’s about the viewership count, your costumers than the actual content. We’ve talked about how it’s an exciting time to be a journalist, but I also think it’s frightening. I think now, more than ever, it’s about the numbers than the content. And I think if you look at our news over the years, it has steadily decreased in relevance. Maybe I’m wrong, but maybe I’m not.
No comments:
Post a Comment