Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Leads



This first news story has a anecdotal/narrative lead. I personally like this lead a lot as, if it’s done correctly, it can really suck the reader in and make them curious. This particular story seems a little weak for me, but I’ve read others in the past that I’ve really liked. This lead is more anecdotal as it doesn’t drop the reader directly into the action per se, but uses it to introduce the reader to the topic. I feel like this lead would also be a good type of lead to use on a longer, more detailed, nitty-gritty type of journalism piece. Local, everyday news that will be “old news” in 24 hours is probably not the news story for this lead. 


This sports story right here uses what I believe is a blind lead. An image of vultures circling is used, and then instead of going into the point of the story, the article seems to ask a question and then provide a series of answers. This second paragraph seems to mix roundup, direct address, and question leads all into one. I believe this type of lead from this writer is actually quite common, though the question thing is a little new. I think the lead is effective as it takes the game and gives it a more thematic view. This type of article is generally released the night after the game, so after some time has passed. I think this allows for the viewer of the game to have had some time to process what has happened and then read an article like this. The blind lead sort of calls back to how the viewer of the game felt before the game, blind. It’s a nice way to begin a sum-up of the games events. 


This news story has a peculiar lead, one that I can’t quite figure out yet. Though it doesn’t use any of the second person, I think this lead may be a direct address lead. The reason I say it’s that is because the lead asks rhetorical questions to begin the story. The lead also answers the question by saying, “Sorry, it’s not that easy,” or something like that. Anyway, in my best estimation, that would be a direct address lead. This story is one about healthy living, so I think breaking down the barrier and really connecting with the reader is an effective thing in this environment. Health is a sensitive subject. People want to feel safe, and by connecting with that reader on a more personal level, especially from the lead, makes the reader feel like this information is for them specifically, not just for whoever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment